Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Remarkable!

It's about 5:30 pm and the Internet cafe is packed and I'm assuming NZ web traffic is high right now. I think that's why it's taking so long for each web page to come up. I think I'll post more tomorrow when Sally and I have all day to just relax and enjoy a quiet last day in New Zealand around Queenstown.

But for now, I will note that we headed up to the Remarkables today--the ski area Northwest of Queenstown and had an absolute blast. It was really amazing scenery and let's just say that the 45 minute bus ride (more than half of which was on an unpaved road) straight up the mountain, unless we were making a 180 degree turn, with no guard rails of course, was pretty remarkable.
Seeing our bus driver both on the way up and the way down pass a car on the nearly one lane gravel road with no guard rail looking down about 5o0 feet was also pretty remarkable. But kidding aside, more remarkable was the views of the Southern Alps, the perfectly blue skies, and the great skiing. We had a great day--perfect sun and about 40 degrees. We'll post some pics tomorrow and include some more info. For now we're off for some dinner!

No comments: